Below you will find ten of the most common signs that your garage door needs a service call.
1. Does your door sit squarely on the floor? If not the counter balance system may need adjusting.
2. When the door is up, is the bottom of the door parallel with the opening or is there a gap on one side of the door? If there is a gap this is another indicator that the garage door counter balance system may need adjusting.
3. Does the bottom section look stained, rusted or more weather beaten than the rest of the door? You may need a section replacement.
4. Is the bottom weather seal in tact? Heat is expensive so you don’t want to be loosing heat just because your bottom seal is torn.
5. Has the door has become loose over time? Is it making more contact with the header or side jambs than expected? This can cause expensive and unwanted wear.
6. Are there any screws or bolts in locations that seem out of the ordinary? Homeowners sometimes add additional hardware in an attempt to reinforce their door. This does not typically address the underlying issue and is a good clue to investigate.
7. Is there any separation between any of the panels? Separation can occur for many reasons but typically indicates a rather urgent issue. This can also happen when a garage door opener has to do more lifting than necessary.
8. Is the track system loose? In some cases it may just need to be tightened but in other cases it can indicate an alternate issue where the door’s performance has deteriorated over time.
9. Do both the cables have the appropriate tension? Are the cables rust free? Loose cables may have stretched over time but generally speaking this will require new cables or pulleys. Loose or rusted cables will eventually get caught up in the tracks or rollers and break once worn.
10. Does the door balance? When raised to halfway in the opening the door should stay put not wanting to go up or down on its own.
These are the top ten most common issues our technicians see when they evaluate a door. If your door falls into one or more of these categories give us a call for a free estimate at 802-448-4752.